Lent: Feb 26 - Apr 9, 2020
Wait. Remember. Celebrate!
Lent is the span of time in the church calendar that starts with Ash Wednesday (Feb 26) and ends with Passover Thursday (April 9). Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Jesus’ 40-day fasting and temptation in the desert, Passover Thursday marks the Seder Dinner, and ultimately Easter Sunday commemorates Jesus’ resurrection from the grave after his crucifixion. Lent, then, is generally observed as a time for Christians to reflect, repent, and pray as a way of preparing our hearts for Easter.
Because Lent is not officially instituted in Scripture, observing it isn’t in any way a “requirement” of Christianity. However, Christians from many different theological persuasions choose to observe it as a way of focusing their thoughts on Jesus Christ during the Easter season.
Found below are a few reading plans, studies, and a song list as resources to guide you through a season of waiting, remembering and celebrating the work of Christ, his ministry, his death, and his resurrection.
40 plus day reading plans:
- She Reads Truth - 47 Day Reading Plan
- The Final Days of Jesus
- Enough: Lent Devotionals
- Lent: Remembering the Life of Jesus
Shorter reading plans:
- Not Lent but Given: The Here I AM
- On Calvary's Hill
- The Messiah Mystery: A Lent Study
- Journey To The Cross | Easter & Lent Devotional
Kids Ministry Family Activity:
- Family Spring Scope (geared for kids grades K-4)
The Easter Story:
- with summaries of each and full scripture to read along with at The Easter Bible Story
Study for groups or personal time (email AmandaR@CrossRoadsChurch.ca if you are interested in a free account with RightNow Media)
- It Is Finished - A Lenten Study of Christ's Final Words on the Cross