Support Ukrainian Refugees in Central Alberta
For more information, or if you may be interested in providing short term accommodations, language support, or employment, please see the Ukrainian Canadian Congress website: www.ucc.ca for information or to register to help.
For updates, or to learn more about the possible needs that newcomers may have, please see the Central Alberta Ukrainian Association (CAUA) Facebook page.
Ukrainian Refugee Camp Short-Term Outreach
May 15-27, 2022, Pastor’s Tracy Minke and Barry Oram will be taking 12 YOUNG ADULTS to serve Ukrainian refugees coming into Moldova. Please see the Short Term Outreach page for full details.
CrossRoads Welcomes the Bako Family
Arriving from Syria, June 17th, 2022
• 5 members; Ibish, Shirine, May Gine, Kalistan and Ibish’s mother, Sanam
• Application first filed in 2016, same time as the file for the Balah family
• Delays and holdups have been so frustrating!
• Notice received March 16th requesting quarantine plan
Areas of support needed
Communications & Expectation
• Team Lead
• First call for the family
• Head up a team of translators that the family or support team can call
• We have a lot of support from the existing Syrian community for translation help.
• Take family to Service Canada for:
• PR Cards
• Social Insurance Numbers
• Take family to Registries
• Health Care cards
• Language orientation
• Liaise with CARE to enroll family in classes
• Encourage and bring people around to practice English
• Orientation to public transport
• Assist with a driving team for appointments
Basic Community Orientation
Child & Family Services
• Child Tax Benefit applications
• Any support needed
• Help with school registration
• Assist the family with school interviews, choosing classes, etc.
Finances and Budget
• Set up bank accounts
• Explain how the financial system in Canada works
• Help with budget
• Help with filing of taxes
Health & Wellness
• Assist with getting a family doctor, making appointments as needed
• Dentist, make appointments
• Be familiar with the Interim Federal Health plan and how the family accesses
Housing and Furnishings
• Work with the Missions office to:
• Find appropriate housing for the family
• Find appropriate furnishing for the family
• What to do and where to go locally and in Alberta
• Navigate local authorities for benefits the family can access such as gym memberships,
swimming lessons etc.
• Be a friend to this family!
• Make meals
• Have over for a meal or coffee
• Go for a walk
• Invite to events
• What would you like to offer this family?
• Accommodation in place by May 1st
• Furnishings in place
• Allows for the family to quarantine in their new home – less stress
• Arrival Confirmation has been granted
• Medical documents have been updated
• Awaiting travel date
For any inquiries or to offer support, please email: email@example.com